PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PRESTWICK
Thread: PRESTWICK
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2015, 00:14
AerRyan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The evidence that PIK-SNN wasn't profitable enough so Ryanair canned it? The evidence that GLA-SNN failed with EIR, as did EDI-SNN.
Right, so this will take alot of explaining.

1. The canning of PIK-SNN had very little to do with bad loads and alot to do with the airport fees at Shannon and Ryanairs dispute. They reintroudced the route at Knock this year. It has been canned, but Knock has a smaller and less populated catchment area, and was within Shannons catchment area while SNN-EDI was operating.

2. GLA-SNN failed because of the reasons I previously stated, you cannot have 144 atr seats at that price and be sustainable.

3.EDI-SNN was preforming great for EI, but was removed with the withdrawal of the SNN base which was brought on by RYR competing on the MAN route.

The fact that Ryanair walked away almost entirely from SNN as they were forced to pay money to use the airport, and only now are growing again.
Ryanair walked away from Shannon because they have a choice of 4 airports on Irelands west coast, and Shannon was more expensive than others. Its not the problem of filling the flights, its the problem of 4 airports strangling each others margins with the help of Ryanair.

It's not about what you think "might work", it's about "is this short less than daily Scotland -Ireland sector the best use of my asset or will it be more profitable being utilised to the sun"?
Im sure it will work, and I have never said anything less than "I'm sure" or "I'd say". A route to Scotland will probably be introduced in September when ryanair put in a third aircraft to Shannon. Its more of a case of what airport.

That's why the mix of routes at PIK was changed. What "evidence" do you have it will now "work"?
My evidence is the doubling of the SNN-MAN loads would alone warrant the use of an 189 seat aircraft from the 72 seat. (Based on 72x2=144) The added addition of the loss of a scottish route from Knock (NOC-PIK 3x weekly=567 seats).
Btw does €20 return even include APD and how recent is that figure?
Yes €20 includes APD and that fare was available about 3-4 weeks ago. Atm you can get SNN-MAN for €30 return.

As I said earlier, Ryanair will probably introduce a Scottish route soon, and if they do not, its only a matter of time before some other airline jumps in.