PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New PPL's who never fly again
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2015, 22:29
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something I've not seen referred to here is the very high probability of getting shouted at as a low time PPL flying in UK. I'd say that a single event of this type chokes off quite a lot of new PPL's who never come back as a direct result. My evidence is as follows:

a) It's perfectly possible as a high time PPL in UK to get shouted at, so heaven help the low timers!

b) Shouting at PPL's is a UK national trait that can be seen and heard clearly, not just at airfields, but on the radio and on this and other forums***.

My personal solution to this negative mentality, the high costs and the suffocating bureaucracy was to start flying in the States once I had a PPL and about 60 Hrs. Without this, I would probably have given up as well. With it, I had no trouble keeping current each year in an environment that was hassle free, exciting and capable of limitless reward. That's why I still do it, more than 30 yrs later.

*** by "shouting at" I'm referring to all the kinds of intimidation that is dished out to PPL's by instructors, ATC, FISO's and various assorted airfield hangers on, all too often in front of the poor sop's passengers. Just look at the endless cases of 'infringements' every month in the UK where the pilot should have been helped by a flight following service, not reported to the authorities.
I have to agree here. When I flew in the UK there was a lot more aggressiveness-to-flying-ratio than here in the US. A lot of busy bodies telling you off, basically. From the rude A/G at Goodwood and Elstree, to the unhelpful and short tempered radar services. Or the time I got chastised by London Ctrl for about to break into some airspace when I was nearing the edge and had good GPS (I was clearly out). Tell me off if I'm busting it, not because you think I might.