PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Catastrophic structural failure
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2003, 20:48
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DR400

THe DR400 is a fabulous aircraft with over 10 million flying hours to its credit.

There s great controversy surrounding the in-flight break up in France.

According to Guy Pellisier of Robin - lovely bloke - whilst they did find evidence of inadequate adhesive contact area in the examination of the wreckage, the structure was still deemd to exceed its design parameters.

It is a difficult inspection that requires an opening cut into the box spar, ironically risking weakening the structure a lot more than any insufficent adhesion that they have found thus far.

They have found more aircraft - either side of the accident machine - that were bonded less than adequately by modern methods/ increased inspections etc.

However, still none have been found that fail to meet the design parameters.

This is an unfortunate incident that has dealt Robin (Apex) a real blow - some say unfairly.

I dont speak for Robin, I may have got the story wrong. However, My DR400 Regent - a Jan 01 model (fully featured in Todays Pilot July 01) - continues to give me and my passengers enormous pleasure.

If you want a pleasant surprise - step out of your spammer and give one a go.

Check out the numbers too - huge range, impressive speed (on fixed gear/ prop), great lifting capabilities and all out of a farm strip if necessary.

If you are in the Midlands, or want to travel, are genuinely in the market for a brand new plane and want to talk to a totally satisfied customer as opposed to a salesman - I'll take you for a ride.

All the best

HP