PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DO NOT use Robert Weaver as a ferry pilot
Old 22nd Jan 2015, 15:47
Jonzarno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I must say I find it a bit surprising that people are still reporting that they have been done over by this guy. There is a sticky thread on this very forum that has been read almost 55,000 times and simply Googling his name throws up enough negative comment to make anyone needing to ferry a plane to run a mile.

I would also suggest that part of the problem here is that most of the things that Mr Weaver is alleged to have done are not actually criminal unless the victim(s) can demonstrate / prove INTENT to defraud, something that by its very nature is hard to do.

Pretty much all of the cases I have read about here can be explained as contractual disputes or potential breach-of-contract claims. For example:

"You promised to ferry my aircraft from A to B via C, you dumped it at C and left me in the lurch".

“You tell me that you think my aircraft in not airworthy and you need $5000 to fix it, I don't agree so you refuse to fly it."

Neither of these is of itself a criminal offence, it is a contractual dispute between two parties and a dispute of that kind is a civil matter and not something in which the police would take any interest: caveat emptor! Of course, that's made even more difficult because of the diversity of locations and jurisdictions involved.

I guess it could become a criminal matter if someone could prove a systematic intent to do this repeatedly for fraudulent gain, but collecting the evidence to do that in a way that would be acceptable to the police is likely to be very difficult indeed. Of course an unscrupulous person could take advantage of this to exploit victims who do not do adequate due diligence before entering into a contract with them.

The one exception of which I am aware, where several potential offences against the law and aviation regulations were ALLEGED, is the Seneca crash which was the subject of another thread here.

http://www.pprune.org/biz-jets-ag-fl...a-v-crash.html

Does anyone know if anything ever came of it?

Last edited by Jonzarno; 22nd Jan 2015 at 17:18.