PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe Wings 2015
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2015, 13:55
2 Whites 2 Reds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not in this game for the cash and I know my fellow wannabes aren't either (for the most part I hope anyway)
Well you bloody well should be! While I applaud your enthusiasm, having been in your situation only 5 years ago, 4 years of airline flying down the road I can assure you that when you get that flying job you're merely entering into a business relationship whereby you fly for reward (the definition of what a CPL entitles you to do).

While that reward will come in other forms than purely monetary, it won't take you long to realise that this is a job first and foremost. We fly because we want to enjoy what we do while being able to pay the bills and give ourselves a certain standard of living. Ask the majority of professional pilots out there whether they would be doing the same type of flying if they won the lottery and you'll find the overwhelming majority will answer no. Personally, I'd never like to give up flying entirely but there are numerous times ahead where you will question your decision to give up another career for all this. And yes, I'm certainly in the camp that would give up airline flying and go back to flying for fun if I could afford to.

Very best of luck with everything and please don't take my post as a downer on your enthusiasm but make no mistake, this is a JOB and the days of it being a vocation are long gone.