View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2015, 02:36
jpinx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a couple more..
G-HOOK lifting live seals and G-BAFD on an exploration rig

http://picpaste.com/GHOOKIsleofMay-G0xbG0oT.jpg

http://picpaste.com/ScanImage005-DJ6IGVfD.jpg

We started out from the failed Gleneagle Helicopters that Tommy Dickson had funded, but never got enough work at a surviveable price. Alec Smith joined Tommy Dickson and the resurrected company was formed. Unfortunately there still wasn't enough work and they decided to sell the company to Patrick Orchard and myself, as we were the only 2 pilots/managers/dogs-bodys left

We started out with a one month lease on the last remaining 2 Jetrangers G_AWOL and G-AWLL. They were owned by Dickson motors and Kinross Plant (Alec Smith) but they were desperate to cash in, so we leased G-AZZB from AirHanson. When we got the training contract with ATS Perth, we had to expand quickly and got a Bell47 through Bill Bailey G-**VM and a 206A G-**YW which was soon converted to a 206B. We occasionally pulled in G-HOOK from Graham Taylor, and a 206L from a guy in the midlands whose name escapes me.

Burnthills were running the helicopter bus route Glasgow_FortWilliam (and other routes) based on government funding, but that soon dried up so we bought Burnthills Helicopters complete with G-WOSP and G-BAKT. That gave us a base in Glasgow for a while, but the charter market could not support an operation there without some other income, so we withdrew to Edinburgh where we were doing well. G-BAKT was sold off, G-AZZB was written off in a fiery crash (no injuries) and we acquired the Bolkow G-BAFD from British Caledonian. There was never any intention to do anything for the oil industry -- notoriously penny-pinching and late payers 'FD was used for fisheries patrols and similar - right up to when I was invalided out of the flying game.

Fortunately for us there was interest in the company and it was sold off -- me signing the papers from my hospital bed Pat continued flying for the new owners, I went to recuperate in the Adriatic. I lost touch with everyone when I went travelling -- living and working (non-flying) in Peru, New Zealand, etc I'd like to know what happened to the guys -- Paul Harbottle in particular was a mainstay, along with Eric Patrick, and Joanne MacIntyre who ran the office.

Gleneagle Helicopters Services (Scotland) Limited was a very special time for all those involved. Thank you.

Last edited by jpinx; 22nd Jan 2015 at 05:04.