PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 21st Jan 2015, 23:18
etudiant

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quote:

60% of known ice crystal icing events occur in the tropics. If the rate is beyond the ability of the pitot system then I would infer that the blockage would occur at almost identical times and magnitude because of the homogenous nature over the small frontal area of the aircraft. Thus, resulting in an artificial overspeed due to it climbing. It is very difficult for any pilot to do something when the systems designed to protect you are now putting you in harm's way, against your intentions. I've never had it in the aeroplane but have done it in the sim and its the most uncomfortable feeling having FULL forward stick whilst the aeroplane pitches up opposite to your inputs.

A very unsettling possibility indeed.
I do not know what the polling frequency is for the Airbus flight control computer, but afaik it is more than 20x per second. That then raises the question of how many polling cycles are required to make a determination that the sensors disagree or that they agree on a wrong value, as suggested above.
Could someone please help elucidate the logic and timing constraints involved.