PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Conditional Descent Clearance'a
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2003, 18:23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOREL STAR From West

Yes the low level STAR LOREL2L goes KENET WESTCOTT but the 1S goes NIGIT OCK VATON BPK etc. for traffic FL180+. Another stomach churning process, now fairly widespread, is the "expect level" e.g.........Descend when ready FL270 expect FL140 40 miles before OCK. This came about because several years ago a foreign pilot missed the descent point .......and of course the famous London overkill sledgehammer to crack a nut philosophy came to the fore. I don't therefore understand why all my traffic gets to the right place at the right level when I have never passed an "expect level" in my life, could it be that my long held and genuine respect for the professionalism of aircrew coupled with the fact that most of them either know the route or have read the STAR is entirely valid. On my watch we even have a chap who says"expect the usual".......talk about nonsense content! By the way I think the original reason referred to above was a result of bad controlling rather than inappropriate flight profile, it must have been difficult to get rid of a lot of height with a stonking tailwind! Good copy on your LOGAN point too, I have a practice of only clearing an aircraft direct to a point which I may subsequently use as a descent target...for the sectors that I do it might for example be EXMOR rather than MONTY for a Manch TMA inbound from the south.