PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Request vs Require.
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2015, 15:53
swh

Eidolon

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Except the braking action in your 'heavy' is actually better than my light twin so maybe we should start requiring 16R and 34 in YMML all the time.
The deceleration rate on an A330 is exactly the same as a A320, except the A330 can land at twice the mass with a higher approach speed.

Do the simple physics, which needs more distance ? (1/2*m*v^2)

I find that a little hard to believe given that I have seen QF and foreign B744 arrive and depart on 16L/34R.
Fine, ring ASA tower managers in SYD and report back what they say. I have never seen an international heavy land on the short runway, not saying it does not happen, never seen it myself.

Just like international carriers are not allowed to be cleared visual approaches (pilot must request it), or use many of the alternates QF/VA use.

If you want to hold for 16R and fit in thats fine, but you should not be cutting in on some other guy who now gets sent over to 16L just because youre not comfortable landing on a 2000m+ runway.
You have totally misunderstood what I previously posted, I don't care if I have to hold, to take extra miles to achieve the outcome I want. I NEVER get questioned by the employer for operational decisions even if they cost extra money, and it troubles me that some people looks like they are.

I have de-iced many times when our procedures says well shall, and locals happily take off at -15 degC with dry snow falling off the airframe. I don't make the local rules, I drive the train like the fat controller says I should.

I may be a bit out of date but why not?
Main issue is that many aircraft today are not delivered with an ADF receiver.

By the way...other guys have commented on making 300 metres go away quickly. I am left wondering how they keep their margin of error so tight. they must fly Boeings?
When they start using a MPL pilot as the person flying the approach for calculating the distances after probably close to 20 hours without sleep (which apparently is similar to having 6 beers), instead of a test pilot ontop of his/her game fresh out of bed with no turbulence, I will start operating to minimum book figures and not apply my own personal airperosnship.

After an 8 hour night shift I do the f#cking job that I am paid good money for! Yes I am tired, yes I have a wife and children, and yes I take pride in doing the job that I am capable of. I don't come up with poor me bul!**** .If you want to require orbits on 1 mile final 16R YSSY then do it, I don't give a sh!t. The delays you cause because you are so full of yourselves is something to be discussed amongst yourselves!
A 3 minute delay is a 3 minute delay for every aircraft thereafter, compounded (if you know what 'compounded' means?)
If you have a hair appointment then do what you will! It's time to start looking big picture style. "I get the runway I want"... Your mirror must be massive, don't complain when some other "pilot" says the same thing, and delays you!
We are cut from the same cloth, I will never require anything unless I need it. I will never ask for anything like a longer runway unless I need it, and never just to save time or fuel. I really would not give a toss if you asked me to hold for 20 minutes, you have your job, and a bigger picture, and I have my job, and a bigger picture. It would be mutual respect at our stage of our careers, rather than a pi$$ing contest.

Correct me if I am wrong, MEL has seen multiple heavy landings due to environmental conditions in the past years ? I seem to recall one which closed both runways as debris was located on the intersection.

Just tried to aggregate all the heavy jet runway overrun statistics at Australian International airports and came up with.... ?
Did you do the same statistic for Australian operators in Asia ? Would like to see your figures normalized upon the frequency per airport.

I believe CX according to LOSA has the highest operational threat index out of any participating airline worldwide.