PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2015, 13:14
The Dominican

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does air japan view electronic logbooks?
Electronic logbooks are accepted, not a problem!

Can you kindly advise me on how I can log instrument time
Oh, is that all?

You have stumbled upon the "holy grail" of individual interpretation..., the description of "instrument time" is very vague and people in different parts of the world interpret this differently..., as per your own description.., if I'm in the middle of the Pacific in a dark night with the A/P on eating my dinner, I'm logging IMC time, OK then..., if you say so! This interpretation would make 95% of it IMC time..!

There are others that say that instrument time is only the time that you are hand flying while on IMC.., that makes it about 30 seconds to 1 minute in less than 10% of your flights...!

Which is correct? Since the description within the regulations is so vague and created back at a time when airplanes didn't have autopilots and IMC was considered something better to be avoided by flying under the cloud base on your DC3..., I would say that both are correct...!

Confused yet? Listen, I'm a dumb ass from the islands, I couldn't tell you the correct interpretation anymore that I could explain the meaning of life..!
All I can tell you is that in the 15+ years that this contract has been around! AJX has seen it logged in those two ways and every other way in between.