PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Request vs Require.
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2015, 12:57
haughtney1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
"Request Rwy 34 due performance" seems to work every time, and as has been said, if I'm offered a shorter alternative, I will assess the pros and cons of that alternative.
Specifically, I'm loathe after an all night trip to expose myself, my crew and my passengers to any increased risk. When the time comes for me to show superior airmanship and use a shorter runway in less than ideal and optimal circumstances it will be when I have no other option.
It's a team effort, but it's my decision, political and internal policy decisions have absolutely no place in my thought process, so unless it's notamed as closed I'll ask politely and if I don't get a positive response I will advise of my intentions.
This is not a discussion about egos or otherwise, it's merely a symptom of having to operate in a less than perfect environment and maintaining a sufficient safety margin. Regrettably it seems that this gets lost at times on both sides of the mic.
I can also confirm that Australia, and australian ATC attitudes are viewed with something less than enthusiasm where I work, yes the weather is generally good, but people prefer the traffic of LHR, JFK, LAX and FRA etc rather than SYD or MEL purely because of the negative perception created over the years....sad but true.