PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ex Service Personnel Excel
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2015, 23:47
Samuel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ag
ree, and I suggest that the 'Something not right...' is that too many employers have no experience of, or know no-one with experience of, Service life and values. On the contrary, too many perhaps have been weened on the Peaceniks' agenda of being 'against war' and those whose duty it is to conduct it.
Leaving the RAF after a mere 13+ years, the culture shock that I experienced was not helped by being accused of being a mercenary and a hired killer by a couple who were friends of friends. That they were both teachers was purely incidental I guess...anyway, that was way back in the 70's, so it's quite different today I guess, isn't it? Isn't it?

I'll go along with that with the exception that some ex-service people don't always know how good they are, and need to adjust! I ended up [Rtd Sqn Ldr RNZAF} at one of the best secondary colleges in Wellington in an executive position, and found very quickly that teachers are not necessarily the best managers of anything! I used to attend Head of Department meetings and on a number of occasions left them to go and fix some real or imagined problem that had been raised, with a nod to the Head master to indicate "fixed it", and one day he asked me "How do you know all this stuff?". I told him I had spent 25 years in an organisation which sorted it's problems out before they became issues!It's called initiative. Management heirachy in the private sector doesn't always recognise initiative and it is often seen as a threat if it comes upwards!