PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 20th Jan 2015, 19:06
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[from actual incident report]
From other Airbus experiences (and I am open to correction) the turbulence and fluctuating outside air temperature fluctuation lead to autopilot disconnect if the angle of attack then reaches the 'alpha prot' value. The angle of attack excursion beyond alpha prot causes a change in the pitch flight control law from normal law (NZ law) to angle of attack protection law (AoA law). (rewritten from http://www.rvs.uni-bielefeld.de/publ...pdf_501275.pdf ) This actually happened and the aircraft involved zoom climbed at up to 6000fpm to above FL380.
[/from actual incident report]

[Speculation]
If that zoom occurs in an updraft it could be even faster but the aircraft would be capable of that rate on its own. Then at the apogee the speed would have bled off and the aircraft could stall.

As Machinbird (I think) suggested a compressor stall due to the AOA and poor airflow into one engine with the other at full power could change a stall into a spin accelerated by into spin power.

The autorotate and then tightening spin to a surveillance observer could look like a hard turn followed by a very fast descent at slow ground speed.

The resultant damage on hitting the surface of the ocean would look very similar to that which has been found. It is possible that the outside engine could eventually be shed due to the spin g forces.
[/Speculation]