PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 20th Jan 2015, 16:28
Coagie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How used to the local weather we're these pilots? On AF447, Bonin was spooked by St Elmo's Fire and the "Electrical Smell" from lightening. It was new to him. He'd never even heard of either phenomenon before. These two things, along with his leader, Captain Dubois, leaving the cockpit, made him so uncomfortable and nervous, that he was using his reptilian brain and was in fight or flight mode, even before the pitot tubes iced up. To put it in medical terms, he was already "freaked out".
These Air Asia pilots may have already been familiar with the weather and it's associated sights, sounds, and smells they encountered. They may have done all the right things. Investigators may find that there is nothing they could have done to save the aircraft. The storm may have affected the flight with specific combinations (up/downdrafts, ice, etc), that were beyond the capacity of the aircraft, crew, and flight computer to handle, even if everything was handled correctly. Could have been a combination that almost never happens, and didn't happen to the flights ahead of them or the flights behind them. It might just be, "The storm got 'em".
I think the Indonesians will find out soon enough, and I think they're doing a good job with the investigation. They may have learned from the missteps of their neighbors on the MH370 issue, on getting their ducks in a row, before they issue statements. I join those who laud the Indonesian divers. They have put their lives at risk, pushing the envelope on getting the Bends, and fighting strong currents, in order to move the investigation and recovery along.