PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 20th Jan 2015, 11:13
A0283

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ Ian W - on transcripting

IAN W -- having had the misfortune to have done some transcripts of fatal air
accidents, i can assure you that it takes longer than you would think and is
more draining than you would think
A0283 notes -- was my impression, and confirms other people talking about their experience with this hard work,

- especially when you know the people involved.
the captain involved taught one of the present investigators to fly, this investigator fully confirms your statements,

add in chaotic ecam and cavalry charges and alarms etc etc and i am surprised
that they have done as much as they have.
like i said in my post ... 'no professional would hold that 50% against them' ... And i was indeed impressed by the 50%

all the time you are aware that someone will challenge your transcripts so you
go over and over. Each alarm has to be identified, each sound identified. Not a
pleasant task at all.
fully agree with that,

Note:

Once i took a number of tapes, listened to them, made a transcript, and compared that with what was published in appendices of the final reports. The easy part was that the report left out the private and human side ... In spite of that, you could feel the strain. The hard part was making a good transcript, my impression based on that is, that i would never leave it to a single person to make a transcription. And for more reasons than one, including sharing the tremendous emotional stress.

In the past you could find pretty complete tapes and texts. Today it appears that less and less is published. I wonder if that is wise. If you really want to understand an accident, then ... The negative side is of course people using the information with an uninformed or wrong intent.