PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quality Assurance and Safety Management in GA
Old 20th Jan 2015, 02:18
trashie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been associated with QMS and SMS programs for over 20 years. I use a cricket ball as an analogy for an integrated SMS where the quality system provides the management systems and oversight with the hard outercasing being those elements of an SMS including operational and organisational risk management, a just safety culture and reporting system. The following is the immunity policy I use for a Just reporting culture:

Information for Safety purposes
Information gathered through safety system will be used only for safety purposes, not for personal performance review.

Focus on solutions Safety analysis and corrective action will focus on a holistic assessment of the latent, workplace and active fail points identified in the hazard or event. It will seek solutions, not scapegoats.

Counselling for improvement Where individual safety counselling is required, it will be done to secure required safety improvement, not to punish or blame any individual.

No record on personal file Where individual safety counselling is required, it will not form part of that person’s company employee records or file.

Voluntary submission The above conditions are contingent on the voluntary submission of safety information as soon as reasonably practical.

Conditions of immunity In the case of a hazardous event, the above conditions will be honoured by the company providing the event was not:

• The result of reckless behaviour
• A wilful and deliberate breach of regulatory guidance
• Part of a pattern of previously identified unprofessional,
incompetent or unacceptable conduct.

Above all the success of an SMS/QMS requires total management commitment and walking the talk and all employee engagement and buy in.

PM me if you would like any further information