PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New PPL's who never fly again
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2015, 12:15
Rocket2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my PPL in 1978 (silver C conversion from gliding) so that I could become a tug pilot & SLMG instructor - only needed 5 hours of circuit bashing & GFT etc to get the licenses, then my confidence took a pounding the first time I set off on my first X-country in a powered aircraft, I rapidly became "unsure of my position" (navigating in a slow moving glider was so much easier in those days) & had to revert to getting a fix off D & D, seldom have I been so embarrassed & nearly gave up at that point.
Took some navigation lessons & still fly every weekend that I'm able to resulting in many 100s of hours towing gliders & a few less flying tourers in some beautiful parts of the world (Hawaii was probably the most memorable) & having fun looking around the UK, soaring amongst the clouds & realising that we live in a truly green & pleasant land.
Why do I do it? I love that short lived freedom & the people within the flying world, we are a special & very lucky bunch!
Will I ever give flying up? Not as long as my heart is still beating, yes it can be darned frustrating, even frightening at times but there's nowt else like it