PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 19th Jan 2015, 11:31
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FullWings
Problem with that is that from past evidence, unusual attitude / loss-of-control has occurred because the automated systems have given up due to conflicting/unverifiable data and dumped the whole lot back on the pilots to make something of it. If it is possible to get the aeroplane to “self recover” from spins, etc. then there is enough information to stop it happening in the first place, which I would suggest is the prime goal.
I am not sure that is true.

The spin self-recovery could be a basic protection that is not lost. As it can use GPS Alt, and Inertial Nav to identify the aircraft is dropping fast and rotating in a particular direction. Then the system takes over and carries out the recovery.

Entry into a stalled/spin condition could be extremely fast in severe turbulence at cruise level with sudden wind reversals and OAT changes and yes even pilot mishandling. In some cases there may be no gentle and considered 'approach to stall'.