PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Things which are most likely to 'kill' you
Old 18th Jan 2015, 21:00
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
Hard landings that require maintenance action are almost always entirely preventable, so should not be an issue.
'Firm' landings are never an issue, other than sometimes denting the ego of the handling pilot.
Both pilots must insist on stabilising the approach. The point at which it must be stabilised will vary from company to company, and by aircraft type.
In difficult weather conditions, sometimes the stable approach unexpectedly tends towards being unstable at low level, particularly if the pilot flying is not experienced and alert.
Whether the commander can intervene to salvage the landing, or should commence a go-around, depends on his/her skill level and also on the handling characteristics of the aircraft type. Sometimes intervention may be required during the flare, at which point a go around could be impractical or unnecessary.
On a few occasions I have let the F/O go too far and have been rewarded by a very firm and hence embarrassing landing. Which has taught both of us a lesson.
And in my early days I did a few myself.
But in over 50 years have never had a 'heavy landing' requiring maintenance. It is surprising what a beating an airframe can take!
Perhaps someone who has had the unfortunate experience of causing - or being party to - damage during a landing, would be brave enough to share with us what went wrong, and why.
But on the list of things likely to kill you, even if the F/O is a 300 hour Cadet and provided that the Captain is competent, landing should not feature.
Take-off is far more dangerous, if only because you have the whole flight ahead of you, thus more time for stuff to go wrong.