PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New PPL's who never fly again
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2015, 19:40
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maoraigh1 -( sounds a bit Irish, with that spelling!)

Dear me. people running out of money, getting bored, losing confidence, quit flying. Well, I was born in Jan. 1933, and didn't climb into a glider until I was 50, when my first husband went off with another woman....

Best thing I ever did. Ever since 1983, belonging to a gliding club, going through the training to solo in 3 months, and then cross country, and then flying in Wales, Scotland, French Alps, and sitting around in the gliding club yakking....doing my stint of helping at the launchpoint, becoming an instructor, translating the gliding into the PPL with only 18 hours needed to do that, and then becoming tug pilot, each step another challenge. Never forgot the elation of that first solo, of being able to say I am a pilot! love it!.

Sensibly, I now fly with a safety pilot, and this very day, 18 January, 2015, when the fog finally cleared, took an airtow to 2,000', the air smooth as silk, seemed to be gently rising everywhere. That poor instructor sat in the front seat and never protested, endured my takeoff, 2 spins, 3 negative gravity humpty bumps, and my thoughtful circuit, followed by a precision landing exactly where planned.....havn't lost it yet, ho ho! and my only problem is climbing out when its over, knees a bit creaky. Then back to the nice warm clubhouse, and more gossip. Plans for next summer. I am still able to say in my heart I am a pilot. And I am exceedingly proud of that.