PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Laptop in Hold or Carry on luggage
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2015, 13:08
ExXB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think most modern laptops would be robust enough to withstand the slings and arrows of outrageous baggage handlers (who are paid to do it quickly, not carefully)*.

But I'm concerned that a laptop with damaged batteries, could short and cause a fire in the hold. Probably not serious enough to destroy the aircraft and all souls on board, but bad enough to set off alarms, hydron fire extinguishers and consternation in the cockpit. A diversion would almost certainly be in the cards. An in-cabin fire would be equally serious but would likely be extinguished quickly and would result in less consternation and less likely to result in a diversion.

Nothing of value should ever be checked into the hold. I have had my bags pilfered a few times, usually when connecting, and having that put right is a tedious and seemingly endless struggle. I have never been satisfied with the airlines 'final' offer but never so dissatisfied that I would sue the bar-stewards.

The airlines tell you not to check valuables and it would be very difficult to get them to pay for loss or damage, for your valuable laptop. The liability will be all yours.

*Does anyone recall that Club lounge at Heathrow T4 that overlooked a baggage staging area? A few minutes watching the ramp-rats was enough to put you off ever checking baggage.