PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - swapping schools for winter
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2015, 12:12
Martin_123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
swapping schools for winter

Hi All,

I've run into a little problem - Irish winter.

I'm doing my PPL in a place that has a grass strip. I started in last summer and so far only logged some 8-9 hours. Basically if it's not 45kt winds, then it's raining mad.. if it's not raining, it's foggy.. if it's not foggy and looks to be a perfect day for some flying, the grass strip still hasn't dealt with the excessive water etc.

I like the school and the strip so I don't want to change it completely, but I would definitely consider taking a couple of lessons some-place else, thus the question - what are the implications of doing that? Is that possible at all? How quickly can instructor can asses my skills to be able to pick up where the previous instructor has left? Am I going to be wasting my money going through exercises I already have completed? I was pretty close to going solo, but now obviously I would have to get adjusted to a new aircraft, tarmac strip, airspace etc.. I suppose I will be doing those things anyway at some point..

What I was thinking was maybe take a week or two off, go to Spain, get some 5-10 hours logged and hopefully be closer to finishing my PPL back in Ireland this summer? If things continue the way they are, I feel like I won't get to fly till April, making my chances of finishing PPL in summer pretty slim. Dragging it out till next year again would have huge cost implications etc.

All opinions welcomed p.s. I'm doing PPL just for fun, don't plan to go commercial thus coughing up some 10k usd for a full course in Florida is not really on the table, unless I can do just couple of hours and wrap it around a holiday or something.. but it is my understanding that these hours wont count towards my PPL, so that's a no then..