PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Typhoons Need Midair Collision Avoidance System, Safety Officials Say
Old 18th Jan 2015, 07:22
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DV

This is a perfect example of desk sitters believing that paperwork has a positive effect on flight safety.

It reminds me of the time I had to cancel my final display practise because the paperwork was not correct. How could I possibly be safe without the correct paperwork?

TCAS is not and has never been the only recovery control.
The pilot is the primary and final recovery control. He is highly trained and has far more sensors and options to maneuver than TCAS will ever have and he can to it in very fine tolerances to the last second before collision. He has options until very close proximity and he is specifically trained to operate in a military aircraft unlike TCAS which has 2 dimensional options optimised for civil airliner profiles.

Pointing out a time where TCAS may have helped is obtuse. Aircraft fitted with TCAS collide/have airprox all the time.
The fact that it is possible for an aircraft to collide despite all the clever air to air sensors and eyesight carried on a fighter does not mean that TCAS would be an improvement.

TCAS is designed for a particular application. Some of the reasons that make it useful for an airliner are invalid.
An airliner has exceptionally poor viz compared to a fighter.
An airline pilot very rarely looks out of the cockpit. I'm estimating less than 1% of the time an airliner cockpit has a pilot actively looking out rather than reading the paper, programming the FMS, chatting up hosties etc.
An airliner can't agressively maneuver like a fighter

A 1hz refresh rate is fine for an airliner, but at the accelerations of a fighter this can cause the system to fail and not give an RA.

For TCAS to work the pilot has to be trained to trust it and do as it says. There are various instances where TCAS has led aircraft into close proximity where eyes might not have. Usually this is in the case of one aircraft being TCAS fitted and one not and RA reversals have come too late.

I think this push for TCAS is post holder ass covering and nothing more.
Nobody wants to be asked the asinine question at a board of inquiry "I've heard of TCAS. How come you have not given our boys this kit?"
The fact that it is inappropriate to the application is by the by.
Next will come "we must all have EGPWS!"
It's a fantastic bit of kit for an airliner and has saved countless lives. Why not fit the civvy version to all military kit? Surely it will work fine?.......