PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you want to see positive change in the aviation industry, especially GA?
Old 18th Jan 2015, 07:18
Arm out the window

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd ask you to push for an honest appraisal of the relationship between CASA and industry with a view to breaking down the barriers of mistrust that are clearly present. A couple of positive steps I think could be taken would be:

1. Get the local CASA teams to approach industry with a genuine 'what can we do to help smooth things along for your business / operation', not just words but a real helping hand where it's needed. Not saying this doesn't happen in places, but if both sides of the regulatory fence don't push for helpful compromise, this adversarial climate will just fester further.

2. A rapid follow up on one of the recommendations of the Forsyth review, namely this one:
change the current two-tier regulatory framework, consisting of the Actą and Regulations˛, to a three-tier structure, with the new third tier comprised of Standards drafted in plain language, and the Regulations drafted in a succinct style, containing provisions for enabling standards and other necessary provisions such as the high-level offence and penalty provisions
because most of the complaints I hear about Part 61 etc are that they're written for the lawyers, not for pilots, which is hardly helpful.

That'd be my 2 bob's worth.