PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Typhoons Need Midair Collision Avoidance System, Safety Officials Say
Old 17th Jan 2015, 19:40
Distant Voice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That ranks as one of the most ridiculous posts I've read in a long long time.
Wow! Tourist, clearly you have a limited understanding of hazard/risk assessment and management, so let me explain in a little more detail what I am talking about.

Hazards become risks when the "Prevention Controls" fail. In our case flying in Class G airspace is the hazard, and loss of safe separation with another aircraft is the risk. Prevention Controls take the form of ATC facilities, onboard radar and passive detectors, deconfliction planning and TCAS (if fitted). In this role one is using the Traffic Advisory (TA) function of TCAS.

However, if the Prevention Contols fail and the risk is realised then we have to rely on "Recovery Controls" in order to prevent a collision/near miss. The Resolution Advisory (RA) fuction of TCAS (if fitted) is the only meaningful Recovery Control. And that is what I am talking about. And that is why two Tornado aicraft collided over the Moray Firth in 2012; NO RECOVERY CONTROL. The Mk 1 eye ball was useless, as many near miss AIRPROX reports will testify

The Risk assessment and management that I am talking about is at Duty Holder level.

DV

Last edited by Distant Voice; 17th Jan 2015 at 20:28. Reason: spelling