PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forced landing WITH power
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2015, 13:06
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both types have the mental capacity to do the calculations in normal flight however when the pressure is really on those with the practical education are the ones who adapt best a changing situation such as wind gradient because they are constantly updating the mental plot from the visual picture.
A & C

I totally agree and to confirm that I will refer to a pilot I knew who was meticulous and ultra detailed in his pre planning, calculations and organisation.

His checks took forever no item rushed or missed but his brain although he was an extremely intelligent guy was one speed.
All was fine until one IMC flight when his destination and alternatives all went down.

He was left with no plans no details and having to work out things on the hoof with his one speed brain. Sadly a different speed and natural spatial awareness was required and he quickly got into a situation where he could not cope.

Thankfully he was assisted to a safe landing by ATC but shortly after packed flying in.

Plans go out the window and then you are left with your own ability to adjust to different circumstances. To me a good pilot will be planned and organised but still have he ability to multi task, always have good spatial awareness and the visual mental capacity to pick up or slow down his game at will.

The good pilot will always be assessing changing circumstances and situations and adjusting accordingly and will always be mentally ahead of the aircraft. He will already have a plan B in mind if plan A isn't working and will have the spatial awareness and capacity to change from one plan to the other at will and those plans will be in his mind not on a fly by numbers sheet of paper or tablet computer))

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 17th Jan 2015 at 13:43.