PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ex Service Personnel Excel
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2015, 10:49
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's one thing to suggest the transition is difficult, and it can be, but it's another to stigmatise servicemen and women though generalisation creep.

Many emotional orphans are drawn to a life with the military family and that can suggest that people joining have a particular mindset at outset that doesn't help when rejoining the harsh reality of chivvy street. It's true too, that circumstances can create a massive hurdle to jump over (I was on gardening leave for 12 months and the assumption was that I was left to fester by the RAF before discharge).

There is almost entirely an entire charity sub-sector out there, 'helping' ex servicemen and pointing to stats to justify their employment. Much of it (not all, not by a long chalk) is complete bolleaux - the need is more a reflection on those hand rubbing professionals offering 'help' than on the intended, or trawled for, recipients. The flattening out means that those who genuinely do need the most care are overlooked and almost disadvantaged as they're stirred into the vanilla yoghurt with the more noisy and more mildly sick, lame and of course, the lazy.

I always thought that somewhere like Bicester would make a fabulous resettlement centre. I think too, that some ex servicemen and women have been too prescriptively and too sharply the focus of a dogma of 'helping' to get people back into civvy street . Some simply don't want to return to civvy street - what is so wrong with consideration of long term accommodating those who are more vulnerable and who feel more comfortable living within the structure of a military environment whilst still working in civvy street? The transition experts don't tend to look in shop doors at 0330.