PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ferrying an aircraft Los Angeles to Oz
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2015, 08:55
PhillC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mach E Avelli
Whatever you do, do NOT VH register before you arrive, as the ferry permit then becomes more difficult, as you are no longer dealing with the FAA but with our beloved CASA.
Interesting. I purchased an aircraft in the UK and had it ferried to Australia. I had the Australian CofA issued prior to UK departure. The thinking with going this route was that the aircraft would be ready to work as soon as it landed, not sitting around waiting for CASA to issue a CofA.

Instead it sat around waiting for work, but that's another story.

Originally Posted by dhavillandpilot

Having done two East bound I can tell you it is not worth the effort.

All is fine until you hit Egyptian Airspace until you arrive in Broome or Darwin.

The Middle East and Asia all have one thing in common. They all believe in corruption and you are fair game.

Expect a handling fee of $US1000 per landing, then pay thru the nose for fuel, then parking charges then landing charges etc etc. All have nothing on Bankstown Airport charging just multiply by 10.
This was more the issue. Hitting the middle east during Ramadan was a real problem. It wasn't planned that way, but some delays meant that's the way it happened.

Fueled in India from portable drums, with a watering can and funnel. It took a while.

And the higher than expected charges occurred all the way into south east Asia.

Arrival in Australia was no drama at all.

Overall, the cost of the ferry, higher than expected en-route costs, cost of CofA issue and general hassle factor meant the total project price was roughly similar to buying one already in Australia. And this was when the Australian dollar was much stronger. I wouldn't bother today.

Having said all that, have also brought a light twin in from the US, via Hawaii and Pacific islands, when the Australian dollar was weaker than it is now. This ferry worked out fine and we still have the aircraft.