PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ex Service Personnel Excel
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2015, 06:16
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ Amongst other things that's kinda my point too. It's become very fashionable on social media for military types to promote each an every example of a servicemen gone wrong as an attack on the military covenant...I find this sad and misleading. Of course there are unfortunate cases, but they are rare. There are also cases that are just plain law breaking by bad asses - also rare.

I know personal experience means very little, but anyway...I know somewhere in the region of a thousand ex comrades who served with me...I don't know a single one that has ended up on the streets or in prison (I do know three that went to prison whilst they were still in, and rightly so). The vast majority are doing well - quite a few of them have very brightly burning stars.

Try and read beyond the headlines - be supportive when it a genuine hard luck story, not when is just some bad egg trying to play the victim. And keep perspective...the vast majority of servicemen and women do well when they leave for a reason...the reason is their military service has made them into who they are - top people.