PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline pilot with eye floaters, FOV a solution ?
Old 17th Jan 2015, 01:25
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
I've written a sizable amount about floaters and undergoing vitrectomy but it was some years ago. Google Pprune.org/Medical & Health/Loose rivets/vitrectomy etc., etc., to do a better search than this forum's search.

This appeared in a moment's search along with others.

http://www.pprune.org/medical-health...aters-eye.html

Firstly, avoid bright sunlight and really work at the diet thing. NO strong spirits. I had a terrible scare at your age. In bright sunlight, when the iris was small, they filled my vision but were not too bad at night. After weeks, or even months, they cleared up completely. I was gifted with wonderful eyesight and had no trouble until I had finished flying. It may be I caused my own vitreous humor to detatch during a psychology experiment that entailed rubbing my eyes. My idea, so only me to blame. Shortly after I got the full effects of a detachment in one eye and a mild problem in the other.

One eye surgeon in Colchester Essex UK was not bothered. He'd caused his in a car accident when he was young and went on to being a consultant surgeon. However, they annoyed the heck out of me and I plumped to have it done. The first time I felt fear was on the gurney on the way to theatre. I thought, what the hell am I doing? Anyway, it was a breeze - until the cataract. That simple procedure seemed worse in a way because of the wait.

The membrane surrounding the organ - for that's what it is - is incredibly fine and is only attached at a few points (I think, 7 without looking it up.) One of these is very near the optic nerve so any tugging may be the cause of the flashing crescent moon symptom some people see at the out edge but they are not sure.

At your age avoid a vitrectomy if possible. The procedure is significant eye surgery but fairly straight forward. As I understand it, the entire vitrious humor - with its membrane - are removed. The eye is filled with saline or some such.

A nuclear cataract may well follow shortly after your eye has settled down. They are a sod, because the brain tries to see around the blocked centre of the lens rather than the whole lens just getting misty. It caused a lot of disruption in busy stores where there were millions of things on shelves. Driving was easy as the affected eye had suddenly gone short sighted so my brain favored the other eye.

The other thing that happened to me, but may not affect others, was that in straining to get the focus perfect, I was tugging on the large extra-ocular muscles. I'd done this trick most of my life, determined to fine-tune to perfect vision, but I didn't fully realize how I was doing it. Now the lens was blocked in the middle, the brain pulled like hell to overcome the issue and four eye consultants had no idea what I was on about. Days of aching pain and terrible focus due to the eye being literally distorted.

One day my wife braked sharply for something that had run into the road, and the symptom disappeared for a few minutes. Now I knew what it was! I asked the doctor for Valium as a diagnostic tool and a mere 5mg took about 5 minutes to relax the muscles. The pain was gone and I could focus again - less the blank spot of course.

A lesson I always try to promulgate as I wouldn't want anyone to go through that pain and distress.

When you get settled down again, your vision is likely to be very good. However you are now missing a vital UV filter. Look at a black bulb with a normal eye and you can hardly see it. With the saline only eye, the black bulb with be ablaze with light. Very telling - so strong sunglasses for the rest of your life.

Some days I want to tear at the bad eye. The operation has been offered but since other days are really good I've held off for a few years. There are a few other risks, but if it's really bad you know there is an escape route that'll most likely work.

The eyes are incredibly resilient when young. Look up Col. Stapp and his deceleration tests. Lots of them. The greatest g ever to hit a test subject. 47 comes to mind. "Removed from the track with his eyes engorged with blood" and he did it time and again.

Last edited by Loose rivets; 17th Jan 2015 at 01:44.