PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 16th Jan 2015, 15:00
A0283

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ oldchina and formation driver on FR's - CVR and FDR

There are roughly 4 different groups of pictures associated with the Flight Recorders of AirAsia 8501 on the web at the moment:

1. Earlier pictures of FR's. We can often quickly eliminate these by the fact that the 'memory module cyclinders' are mounted horizontally. While the AirAsia recorder's 'cylinders' are mounted vertically and positioned at the extreme end of the 'sigar box'.

2. Earlier pictures of FR's submerged in a transparant casing, these can be eliminated because the latching/lid is much different from those on the photos with Gen.Moeldoko. So, his morale boosting visit gets a nice bonus.

3. FR's presented by the chief of the KNKT/NTSC during an earlier press conference. These have 'vertically mounted memory module cylinders. I do not have the exact date of the pictures yet. Low prio. These are undamaged indeed. And me be the exact same type of the actuals.

4. The actual recorders. Vertically mounted cylinders. Parts of supporting / mounting frame attached which are partially deformed. Corner of the CVR 'power cube' dented. I have not seen a picture of the 'outer box', would be interesting to see the damage on that.
During their trip the boxes have changed carrying/transport containers at least four times it seems. First an icebox (white and blue) on board Indonesian vessel Banda Aceh . Then a black box (like the divers use) from Indonesian vessel Banda Aceh to shore. And during the transfer from ship to shore at PB we first see the transparant box. Finally, in Surabaya, a black large box (probably containing the last transparant one), for transfer to Jakarta.
Early on there was one picture showing detailed configuration data of the CVR.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by A0283; 16th Jan 2015 at 18:49.