PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2003, 01:15
John Purdey

CHINOOK

Tandemrotor, I wholeheartedly agree with you. What an unutterably sad business the whole tragedy was.
Banggearo, I don't like it any more than you do, but I have always believed that THE CREW WERE NOT WHERE THEY THOUGHT THEY WERE, ie they thought they were faced with a hill about 300 or so feet high. as they pressed on in IMC.
So tell us this, do you really think they DID KNOW where they were, ie that they knew that they were heading towards terrain 800 ft plus high, in IMC, at low level and at a goodly forward speed? That seems to me to be quite out of the question, but I would be interested to hear your defense of it.
It has to be one thing or the other; either they knew where they were or they did not know, and I prefer to believe that they were a qurater of a mile to starboard of where they believed themselves to be. No other explanation fits the facts.
Pulse1. I'm afraid I have seen too much military aviation, and its accidents, to think that even so splendid a crew might not have made such a grave misjudgement. Very sad though it is. John PUrdey.