PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - On a light note... Anyone done 1000mph?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2015, 05:25
BBadanov

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Have heard of higher speeds being achieved post-AUP engine upgrade and in clean G-models, and of high 800s achieved at Red Flag.

An unnamed Nav has told me of a particular occasion where a piece of the wingbox fairing was missing and paint had peeled off the leading edge of the fin after a particular post mx flight test off the Sunshine Coast in the late 90s.

He also said the main speed limfac was windscreen temp?

F/A-18
Not sure, but possible. My time was with P3 and P103 engine. The G was I think P107, and AUP aircraft were P109. So probably better performance.

Yes windscreen temp was sometimes a limiter, but we did go through several windscreen mods too!
I have just been out boating today with a bunch of ex-111 (ex-Pig) mates, so sorry I couldn't consult them, but I do remember a rundown stopwatch triggered by skin temp - one of these guys remembers all the numbers - but it had something to do with 214 degrees (I think) and counted down from about 300 to 0 seconds (I think). Someone with more brain cells will remember !! Our young Oz UAV mate will remember the details...