PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Interview and Sim Assessment (merged)
Old 16th Jan 2015, 05:04
Tango Romeo A320

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assessment completed

Hi guys!
It is now my turn to share with you my experience of the RYR assessment.
First of all I would like to say that you need to keep it cool and just be yourself! Use all the resources in order to succeed and show that you are someone who knows where he/she goes.

First moment at the assessment centre:
Very nice place with all facilities so do not worry they put you in good condition to prepare for the sim and the HR/technical interview. People form Dublin where very helpful.

The simulator:
I would say... Expect the unexpected because it is not a B737... It is a lookalike but at the end you are happy when you finish to deal with it.
Try to practice 2hrs before going for the sim check because it will most probably help you.
You will receive the jeppessen plate in order to brief with your sim partner so enough time to agree on everything.
As a PM your duty is really to help the PF... All the checks and make sure the PF is in the loop. You need to make his/her life easier! Especially that the handling is not so easy for the first 5 minutes (the trim is crap).
Departure clearance from EMA rwy27 wal2n (vor's tracking) but you are taken into vectoring heading for some airwork (turns)
At a certain time your assessor will freeze the sim and ask you where you are... Use all means to show him where you are (in our case dme distance from the ils dme and a radial from the ndb)
After that time to prepare the approach. Set up and time to brief your partner... Then the assessor clears you for the approach. We followed the alternative procedure published on the chart.
Manage your speed reduction because the jet has inertia and you will take time to slow down... Monitor and make sure your speed is under control.
For my team one of us had one approach. Clear condition and stable so no need to go around for fun. For the other one less stable and decision was taken to go around (safe decision). Next approach stable and we could land the A/C.
Time goes really fast but I would say that they did not play any tricks (I guess this not their goals for the day).

HR interview:
Be cool and answer with honesty...
Tell me about you... Use it like you want but keep in mind that the next question is going to be based on what you have said earlier ;-)
Personal and family questions
Academic background?
Professional background?
Maybe the HR seems annoyed or not interested but they are really listening. He/she plays with you... Don't loose your self confidence and show that you are the right person for the job.
Questions related to the cost of your training?
If a job is offered to you how will you manage to pay for the TR?
Have you ever had an accident or incident in aviation?
Choose 3 bases

Technical part:
Formula to calculate the aquaplaning speed (9x square root of tire PSI)
Does your a/c has a critical engine? If yes which one? Engine number one (LH engine) in general when your aircraft has two engines rotating clockwise (seen from inside the plane)
De icing on your a/c
How many seats on the 737? 189seats
How many cabin crew? 1/50 passenger seats. In total 4 cabin crew

Other people got lift formula and why/how a wing creates lift, 4 segments after engine failure, calculate stall speed if the speed in clean config is 220kts, Venturi and carburettor icing, etc

An overall appreciation of the day... That was nice and we all wish to pass! Some of us got a better feeling but I guess they know you are a bit nervous!
Take it easy and it should be ok.

Answer in two weeks and first date for TR course in May.

Study... Study hard and give you the chance to succeed!

Last edited by Tango Romeo A320; 16th Jan 2015 at 17:11.