PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - On a light note... Anyone done 1000mph?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2015, 04:50
ExAdvert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As well as doing 1000kts, the F3 will also happily (well, relatively happily) do 0 kts. I learned about this when I once let my "experienced" Nav have a go at poling a twin-sticker:

Nav: "Can I have a go at some aeros?"
Me: "Sure. You have...."
Nav: "I have. Ok, I'll just try a loop to start with....."
Me: "Ok, stick the burners in, wait for 300kts & pull to 4g, then transition to 19 units over the top"

Nav pulls weakly to about 3g

Me: "Pull a bit more mate...."
As we reach the vertical:
Me: "Keep pulling"
Nav then slackens the pull
Me: "PULL!"
Followed by click, click as Nav brings throttles out of burner!

Me: "F*@k"
Nav: "You have control"
Me: "I doubt it"

As the airspeed decayed below 50 kts in the HUD, somewhere from the deep recesses of my brain, I remember hearing the U/P drill of "Centralise & let the aircraft fall out of the U/P". So I did. My QFIs would have been proud.

Everything went very quiet as the jet stopped, deciding whether to hammerhead or fall on it's back.....

Me (silently): "Please don't spin"

After what seemed like an eternity, it tailslid, then oh-so-gently pitched forward in a lovely (& completely unintended) hammerhead/ Su-27 "Cobra"-stylee manoeuver.

Fuel came out of the intakes in big clouds of vapour. I was pretty sure that wasn't supposed to happen.

The CWP lit up like a Christmas tree as various systems tripped offline... SPILS.... CSAS.... Pressurisation (!!?)....

.... but the thing kept flying & the engines kept turning. As the airspeed increased, presently there were enough Bernoullis going over enough control surfaces that the Lift Pixies resumed normal service.

We went home after that