PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ANOTHER board member for Qantas
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2015, 03:06
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

Automation would have dealt with QF72 how? It was the automation that had them pitching nose down toward the ground.

Automation would have assisted with the QF30 how? When the side blew out the aeroplane there were no autopilots left and multiple other issues.

When a 744 on descent into BKK lost all electrics in late 2007, early 2008, automation would have helped how exactly?

How would automation have dealt with the QF32?

Your blind belief in the benefits of automation is admirable but I can count 4 hull losses for Qantas within the last 7 years had it not been for pilots on board simply because the automation wasn't up to scratch. The way I see it, Pilots 4: Automation 0.... and that's just the serious issues. I've had automation decide not to follow the flight planned track requiring manual intervention. It took multiple resets of systems and some creative thinking to get it to do what it was supposed to do. I'm sure many of us can think if multiple examples where we've managed the lack of automation response. Sure, automation has also saved some of us from time to time which just goes to show that NO ONE SYSTEM IS PERFECT.

So how about we cease the pissing contest about how awesome automation is. Realise that it's goal is to assist us to do things that we can't do as well and clear our minds to manage things that the automation simply doesn't consider...... like what to do when the automation goes cactus.