PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK AAIB (H) January 2015
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2015, 23:46
firebird_uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Closest I've come to piling a 44 into the ground was on a trial lesson.

We're at the end of Ex 3 and the female trial lesson recipient is having a go at hovering. Her boyfriend, who had bought her the experience, was in the back.

The usual growing oscillations forward and backwards occur and I take control and steady the ship. We try again.

On the 3rd attempt as the nose goes down / tail up she suddenly takes her left hand and clamps it on her right hand and locks both arms. I start shouting "I have control" but she refuses to relax. As we head down I yank the lever up which slows our decent but rapidly increases our speed.

I continue yelling and prepare to elbow her in the face at which point she fortunately relaxes and control is regained.

After landing she says she's not sure flying is for her. Her boyfriend says "Ere mate, when you scream you sound like a girl!" I politely sign her certificate and wish them good day.

As soon as I see anybody move their left hand towards the cyclic nowadays I'm immediately all over them. Always assume they will do the opposite of what you ask and always try to be ready for the unexpected.