PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Typhoons Need Midair Collision Avoidance System, Safety Officials Say
Old 15th Jan 2015, 18:16
Lima Juliet

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts
You see now you've got the Daily Mail started now: Typhoon jets could smash into airliners, RAF chief warns* | Daily Mail Online

What a completely moronic headline. Do you know what, my Mini Cooper could smash into an airliner as well!!!

Anyway, if we are to fit TCAS, or other such anti collision detection devices, into the military fleet then let's think about it. How about a non-cooperative collision avoidance device that helps you stop hitting non-squawkers (ie. Aircraft with a transponder on standby or not fitted) or large birds/balloons/model aircraft etc...? Also, let's start fitting the fleet that doesn't have air to air sensors first and thus Typhoon should be one of the last - logically. Fitting a non-cooperative system would also have utility in war time and peacetime.

Finally, if I can't see an airliner with my RADAR, datalink picture, my IRST, my transponder interrogator all sensor fused to my helmet mounted sight with my Mk1 eyeballs then there is something massively wrong!

As you can probably work out, I do not support the idea of TCAS for Typhoon as I think that it will probably cause more problems than it will cause as TCAS was never designed for the type of dynamic manoeuvring a Typhoon can do - there will be Resolution Advisories all over the place as the Typhoon manoeuvres!!

LJ