PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2015, 18:07
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ah see I have been mentioned in despatches.

Whilst a few on here seem to think I am evangelical about Manchester it's not total blind faith. Honest !

As Basil says we do 3m ...its a spot on the backside of humanity compared to London , and yes I do think the article was more about the spat between LHR and LGW which is becoming quite comedic as its becomes more and more desperate !
Because there's a lot at stake: does the UK remain the major European hub or become a backwater.

When you note what they have down there and the volume of wide bodies I am truly staggered that we even achieve 22M, a not insignificant figure against their 72m especially when you consider the volume of wide bodies which roll in and out every 90 seconds and having one of the largest based fleets in the World. Bit different to a dozen FlyBees.

So given all that dosh down and the fact that as we are constantly reminded they are rolling in money, it makes perfect sense to fund all aspects of the runway etc themselves.

No problem with that !

But Sorry not with my taxes !
No, not with your taxes. Private sector investment will come from the private sector.

Funny that you complain about aviation infrastructure spending but are silent about rail infrastructure spending, where it could be argued that far less is spent in Manchester (Northern hub notwithstanding) than in London, where a case can actually be made.

I do object to them coming to up North cap hand "suggesting" how fortunate we will be when we get this connectivity but then suggesting same breath we fund part of this.

After all with a dozen shuttles a day in place already what benefit is there to Manchester anyway, we already have the connectivity as does GLA, EDI, NCL LBA etc

Sorry I would much rather see our proportion spent of that £6B spent on infrastructure in the N West. I'm sure folk in GLA EDI NCL and LBA think the same ! So there we go £1Billion each spread across the country !
The whole country benefits from the increase in connectivity by expanding LHR provided that domestic links on thin routes are available (ringfenced if neccessary).

What £6 billion are you refering to?

.....how about a government loan for those upgrades to T1 T2 T3 at MANCHESTER....then call it a national asset as well ?
Good idea if MAN has to survive on govt. handouts. Regretably it will fall foul of EU regulations.

However, if govt. handouts for airports were to be available, it would be better spent on stuggling airports than a profitable eneterprise like Ringway. If MAG needs the money for terminal development, then sell STN.

Fairdealfrank

You and me too. Note that your first quote doesn't actually come from the original article - it was a mischaracterisation of what Holland-Kaye said (which was clearly aimed at Gatwick, not 'regional' airports anyway).
Would have thought so too (obviously, as they say at LGW), but there are those who took it as an attack on regional airports. Who knows why!