PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2015, 17:46
BasilBush

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fairdealfrank

You and me too. Note that your first quote doesn't actually come from the original article - it was a mischaracterisation of what Holland-Kaye said (which was clearly aimed at Gatwick, not 'regional' airports anyway).

Bagso

Glad to be of service! Actually I tend to agree with you on the public funding point. I really can't understand why we are backtracking on the principle that airports should fund their development themselves. Including related infrastructure. After all, the former BAA had to pay the full cost of Heathrow Express, extending the Piccadilly Line to T5 etc. Why change that approach now? If airlines won't pay airport charges that are high enough to remunerate the total investment, then doesn't it say something about the viability of the overall project? Of course this is the fatal problem for the Gatwick "obviously" case - namely that the likes of easyJet will never agree to the increase in airport charges that would be necessary to remunerate a second runway. At least there is some prospect of the Heathrow airlines paying up.

Last edited by BasilBush; 15th Jan 2015 at 18:21.