PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Typhoons Need Midair Collision Avoidance System, Safety Officials Say
Old 15th Jan 2015, 16:05
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sometimes I want to give up.....

One last try.

Both the pilots were pingers by trade.

That means that they were trained from the crib to operate from carriers in a Mk6

Mk6 normal ops would be to lift from a carrier with the radar off. Lights off. Radio silent. IFF mode4 only. No JTIDS.

The loss of all those items would not be a big deal. It's normal ops. Even radar on in a MK6 it is blind in the front aspect would you believe.

On this flight, they were nav lights on, lower HISL off, (normal with both the controversial HISL and the previous strobe due to distracting reflections off the sea) radio on, two way comms with the ship. Hardly operating outside their comfort zone.
Was everything thing perfect?
No, they were constrained in their use of height separation which is not ideal, but these things happen operationally.

IFF is necessary to not get shot down or even be allowed into the operational area but had no effect on the accident, thus who cares.

Re the JTIDS.
DONT CARE!
Nothing to do with me flying the aircraft.

Re operational on the deck
DONT CARE
Nothing to do with me flying the aircraft.

Your points are all about bagging capability which is irrelevant, not flying the airframe safely which is relevant.