PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What has been the one, absolute highlight of your flying so far?
Old 3rd Jun 2003, 22:57
Sultan Ismail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Highlights in a flying career

You ask for one, so be it, must just say there are three including that first solo, however in deference to Whirly here goes.

After flying as a PPL well into the 4th decade I turned to the helicopter and the challenge of a PPL(H), all went well for several hours, flying in the cruise and in the circuit requires similar positional awareness as in a fixed wing and when it flies, well it flies like a fixed wing, but Oh My God, the HOVER after 5 hours of all sorts of flying the instructor said "not a problem, if you are not hovering at 10 hours then there is a problem".

Came lesson eight and I asked to concentrate on the hover, well good people of Pprune I can tell you at the end of the lesson I was hovering that aircraft within a metre circle for 5 minutes at a time.

The secret formula, which I can only state on Jet Blast, really worked, and I did indeed feel ten feet tall when we got back to the pad.

The memory of this flight will stay with me for a long time.

Sultan Ismail