PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ANOTHER board member for Qantas
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2015, 12:09
IsDon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember, back in 1983, in my year 12 computer science class. We were discussing the likelihood of our proposed careers being overtaken totally by computers. The lecturer was quite convinced that just about every profession we came up with could be done better, and cheaper, by computer. Of course when I offered "pilot" he stated that would be the easiest of all jobs to automate with a computer flying a pilotless aircraft. My response then was, possibly, but would you and your family fly in one?

Fast forward 30 plus years. Sure we have driverless trains in some countries (one dimensional control, no traffic, no weather issues).

We have some of the major car companies and Google attempting to prove the concept of driverless vehicles (2 dimensions, traffic, variable road conditions, pedestrians with smartphones blindly walking out in front of you etc etc etc.... ) but are still years away from production, and that's just the technical issues. They're finding its a legal minefield to get the things allowed to legally drive on public roads. In fact Audi, one of the pack leaders, have only recently stated that the days of handing over the driving completely to a computer is still years off, and they are concentrating on driver assistance or the foreseeable future.

And you are seriously suggesting that pilotless airliners will be taking over pilots jobs within 10 to 20 years? (3 dimensions, and I won't even begin to list the complexity of operations we deal with every flight. Suffice to say compare the complexity of driving your car to the airport verses that of operating a flight.)

Not a snowflakes chance in hell I'll see it my lifetime, and on the balance of probabilities it won't happen in the lifetime of my four year old either.