PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Salary vs Training Costs
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2001, 03:05
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 226 Likes on 87 Posts
With respect, to suggest that those currently in the system have ‘never had it so good’ is naive and complete and utter crap!!

No it isn't. Its easier to get a job now than at any time since 1989. Cor, I haven't been called naive for yonks.

When both you and I started, some 20 odd % was deducted from our training costs thanks to NVQ… FACT… nowhere in the system has an equivalent amount been added back.

23% but who is counting? All the figures I quoted were with NVQ VTR already taken off.

If I remember rightly, you did NOT initially qualify as a JAA instructor but did so under the old CAA and VASTLY cheaper route.

Yep - thought that was obvious. Obviously not. Not VASTLY cheaper. PPL and hours building are still the same price. CPL module is £5k more expensive than BCPL. FI rating is the same money. The exams are about £1,000 more expensive due to longer groundschool hours but that does at least make them easier.

I doubt that flight training has changed one bit. FTO’s are still providing the same high quality of training as was the case in your day. So no savings there.

No in my day there was far more rubbish training at commercial levels available - I experienced it first hand. At least with the JAA shake up even small schools now sing from an Approved syllabus and this is better overall in my professional opinion. Flight training is now better at getting you through the flightests as there are more hours in relevant sims with visuals and less burning pointless hours in the sky beacon bashing.

BAe may well have reduced their costs as a result of ‘leaving the country’, but OATS and indeed Cabair have increased their rates over the last few years. ..OH yes they have!

BAe were reducing charges throughout the latter part of the 90's compared with the early. Factor in 10 odd years of average wage increase and then take the course prices as a percentage. You'll find that in those REAL TERMS course prices at Cranfield and Bournemouth are less.

JAA cutting slack…I don’t think so!

Yes. Pass mark for ATPL lowered to 65%. You can pass the exams one at a time as slowly as you like - no pass in 3 sittings or go back to the start. Also the question bank of all questions will be available soon to one and all. Not a big point really.

There is now no way by which you can achieve a modular for anywhere near the £16 –£20K you talk about..and that is a fact. So lets not bring that into the equation in Tosh’s question ‘cos you won’t do it for less than £30K+.

You couldn't for £16k - £20k in my day either. Unless LIKE ME you got sponsorships and flew for free in HMG aircraft. I thought that was kind of implicit. Sorry. Never assume in aviation.

Now, we all accept that you may have your ear to the ground etc etc, but lets not compare apples with oranges. Things are now much more expensive, even by your own figures!

I never said they were. I said you've never had it so good. Which in employment terms you haven't. Things are more expensive. But not horrendously so. People still manage to go from zero to Frzn ATPL in £31,500 - I helped him do it. Under the good old days you would have struggled to do it for less than 90% of that figure. So I don't call that increase horrendous.

If this sounds like a personal dig, it is not. In my early days I gained a lot of information and inspiration from your good self, and for that you have my thanks.

No offence taken friend. I am skilled at reading posts in a neutral 'voice' - I've had lots of practice ;-) I hope my counter points will be taken in a similar manner. Congrats on 'making it' by the way.

Fact is things have moved on. Whilst your old employers, BAe may be a better bet now for integrated, most here on a modular path, are very much at a financial disadvantage and that is an indisputable fact..

I disagree.

So Tosh,

Back to your question, £45k of debt is a burden for anyone, even on a salary of £100K+!!
It depends what you do and how quickly you get a well paying job.

Agreed.

I can tell you that even £16K of debt on an instructors salary is a HUGE burden…..but, do I grudge it…..not one bit!

Still paying my small debt off - which will happen when Mum gets a flash new kitchen installed in the Spring.