PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Salary vs Training Costs
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2001, 02:25
clear prop!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Firstly, thanks for your wishes of luck

Thankfully I am now well through the JAA system, as one of the early pioneers, as it were, and hve used up all the luck that anyone has the right to expect in life!

With respect, to suggest that those currently in the system have ‘never had it so good’ is naive and complete and utter crap!!

When both you and I started, some 20 odd % was deducted from our training costs thanks to NVQ… FACT… nowhere in the system has an equivalent amount been added back.

If I remember rightly, you did NOT initially qualify as a JAA instructor but did so under the old CAA and VASTLY cheaper route.

I doubt that flight training has changed one bit. FTO’s are still providing the same high quality of training as was the case in your day. So no savings there.

BAe may well have reduced their costs as a result of ‘leaving the country’, but OATS and indeed Cabair have increased their rates over the last few years. ..OH yes they have!

JAA cutting slack…I don’t think so!

There is now no way by which you can achieve a modular for anywhere near the £16 –£20K you talk about..and that is a fact. So lets not bring that into the equation in Tosh’s question ‘cos you won’t do it for less than £30K+.

Now, we all accept that you may have your ear to the ground etc etc, but lets not compare apples with oranges. Things are now much more expensive, even by your own figures!

If this sounds like a personal dig, it is not. In my early days I gained a lot of information and inspiration from your good self, and for that you have my thanks.

Fact is things have moved on. Whilst your old employers, BAe may be a better bet now for integrated, most here on a modular path, are very much at a financial disadvantage and that is an indisputable fact..

So Tosh,

Back to your question, £45k of debt is a burden for anyone, even on a salary of £100K+!!
It depends what you do and how quickly you get a well paying job.

I can tell you that even £16K of debt on an instructors salary is a HUGE burden…..but, do I grudge it…..not one bit!

[ 30 August 2001: Message edited by: clear prop!!! ]