PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane crash near Basingstoke UK
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2015, 08:24
Pittsextra

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd be prepared to bet that every accident thread on this site at some point contains posts which contain "wait for the AAIB report" or "show some / out of respect for the dead...." or "I knew him he was a lovely man/woman" etc.

The time it takes for these type of posts to arrive is reduced if the accident involves a commercial pilot. At which point log books will be drawn out and hours compared....

Curiously pages and pages of complex mechanical engineering theory and thesis can be debated but over recent years the pilots decision making can be found at the root of most accidents. Unfortunately in single pilot private flying that is a difficult thing to really do much more about.

As has already been said if you take off on a VFR flight from point A with point B as the destination if you haven't planned, or not planned very well and the weather changes then at some point if you are a PPL with no instrument training (or with some training and no ability..etc pedants feel free to add as appropriate) it becomes a case of more luck than judgement.

Flying isn't hard, the rules aren't actually very restrictive or hard to understand and follow, especially if you take a simple view that is if you don't know and are not prepared to learn then don't do it.

If those who had come to grief could read the final AAIB reports into their demise I very much doubt that most would find it a shock / revelation.

The problem for the AAIB is that they are clearly under resourced and if you are in the "wait for the AAIB report" before being prepared to either think about or take action for own sake I guess you might see something on this in 2016??