PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Salary vs Training Costs
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2001, 21:15
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 268 Likes on 107 Posts
Wink

Yep.

RAF Flying and 6th Form scholarship gets me a PPL.

UAS, flying friends for petrol money and the Air Training Corps Basic Glider Training (motor gliders) built my hours up to about 200 for free.

Became a weekend volunteer flying instructor with the Air Training Corps which built my hours up to about 400. Free flying plus expenses plus a military motor glider instructor rating.

Finished Uni and got a local desk job, lived with parents and studied PPSC in the evenings by correspondence for a year. Did exams and total cost £1,800. Quit job and went did an IMC, BCPL and FI rating for £6,200 in 7 weeks. FI rating was less than half price because the CAA granted an exemption based on my MMG instructor rating.

Immediately started work at local flying school in Spring 1999. Built up to 1000hrs then did Multi rating and IR in Nov1999 in 3 weeks for £6,800. Went to work for BAE in Jerez.

One year in Spain and then into a B737.

+ £6.2k
+ £6.8k
+ £1.8k
---------
= £14.8k
---------

The rest (£1.9k) is accounted for in accomodation, materials, travel and living expenses whilst away from home.

I kept a little book and entered everything I spent of my training as I knew one day it would be interesting to *know*.

This was all done prior to JAA implementation but the RAF still sponsors and the Air Training Corps is open to all still. I was also able to claim NVQ Tax Relief during training.

PPRuNe through its advice and helpful members saved me thousands. Which is a debt I am slowly trying to work off

Good luck,