PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do i do now?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2003, 20:01
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Liz,

Welcome to PPRuNe, and it's great that you've decided to get back into flying - you won't regret it!

As for what to do...you haven't really given enough information in your post. Why don't you want to go back to your old club, or why are you considering somewhere else? If you're on to solo navs, you don't really need a concentrated course as such, just as many hours of flying as you can cram in, if that's what you want. The advantages of that are that you may learn a little quicker (although as you've already got the basics, I'm not so sure about that), and that you might manage to get your PPL before the end of this summer, and then do some flying before winter hits. The disadvantage is that intensive flying can be tiring and stressful, and therefore stop being fun - I for one don't do well on intensive courses! Were there problems, with the school or instructor? Or do you just fancy a change? Or want to see if somewhere else is better?

Since at least some of the above are probably true or you wouldn't have posted, I'd suggest doing an hour with an instructor at a couple of other flying schools, talking to people there about what you want to do, and just hanging around absorbing the atmosphere. All flying schools and airfields are different, and all experience is good, so it won't be time wasted whatever you decide.

Another small point is that if you change schools, you will have to get used to different procedures, a different airfield, maybe a different type of aircraft. It's not a big deal, but maybe something to bear in mind, especially if you're still counting the pennies at all, as it may add a couple of hours or so to the course.

Good luck whatever you decide to do!