PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK AAIB (H) January 2015
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2015, 11:13
adobewombat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Improving Safety

On occasion I find pprune useful, but usually because it is a rumour mill, it's not my thing. I would like to make this thread more useful than rumour.

Examining photos taken clearly some time after the crash and questioning what happened is not helpful or useful. When I say 'clearly taken some time after the crash', for example, the aircraft is upright and appears to be in a farm yard as opposed to on its side in a muddy field.

The instructor and student reports are entirely consistent with police taken photographic evidence from the crash site, which was in a muddy area. The initial ground contact was with the right skid, which led to frontal dynamic rollover. This led to ground contact with numerous other parts of the helicopter, including the left front skid.

Aviation in general, should be trying to learn from accidents to make flying safer. In his report to the AAIB the instructor has clearly described the events leading to the accident, and considered the factors that may have contributed to the accident. If publication of this report can lead to improved safety, then that is a positive outcome.