PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forced landing WITH power
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2015, 11:13
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most GA types have wings which can be removed with modest work, though there will be more effort to reinstall and rig them. Cherokee types are more likely to suffer damage during this work than strut braced Cessnas. There are a few types I know of, for which removing the wings is not possible = problem. An off airport landing has been more successful if that place affords a takeoff path.

One of the challenges of off airport landing place selection will be that in other than dead flat countryside, the surface you've picked will be not as flat on final approach, as it appeared to be from above. That will mean a more challenging landing, and greater risk that that nice field you picked from above, and landed in, is not suitable for a takeoff at all.

Sometimes a whole aircraft can be taken by road to a place where a takeoff is possible, or it could be slung out by helicopter. The only time I have forced landed into a field from which I could not takeoff, with a bit of fence fiddling, I was able to tow the aircraft to a field from which I could takeoff safely. Only time, no cost

In any case, this is why it's really good to not leave this until the last opportunity. The early decision that you cannot continue gives more choice of landing sites, and more opportunity to validate their suitability, or better, just to divert to a different aerodrome! Early awareness means more time to deal with the situation, and better choices.